SkinPen is a micro-needling procedure that creates tiny beneficial micro-injuries in the skin to help trigger the production of collagen. It is a great alternative for patient’s that are not a candidate for laser treatments or chemical peels as it does not generate heat and won’t cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Fitzpatrick skin types I-VI can be treated with SkinPen and will have great rejuvenating effects.
Conditions SkinPen is designed to treat:
- Acne scars
- Fine Lines
- Hyperpigmentation from sun damage, burns, or other trauma
- Pore size
- Stretch marks
Our Treatment Protocols/Timing of Treatments
- Acne Pitted or “Icepick” scars: Collagen with deep scars can take longer to respond, so we recommend spacing treatments about 8 weeks apart. We recommend at least 3 treatments for acne scarring, but in the case of deep scars up to 6 treatments may be needed.
- Botox/Filler: SkinPen can be done 1 month after Botox or filler and we recommend to wait at least 1 month after SkinPen for your next botox or filler treatment.
- Hyperpigmentation: For mild to moderate hyperpigmentation, we recommend treatments appx 4-6 weeks apart.
- For deep hyperpigmentation, we recommend BBL light treatments. (This is a great treatment plan to help patient’s with a I-III Fitzpatrick skin type that have deep pigment from sun damage). BBL can be done appx 1 month before SkinPen treatments, followed either by a series of SkinPen treatments, or BBL can also be alternated with SkinPen every other month.We recommend at least 3 treatments for pigment correction.
- Stretch Marks: The stretch marks must be at least 1 year old. Treatments are best done appx. 4-6 weeks apart. We recommend at least 3 treatments, but in some cases 6 treatments may be needed for deeper marks.
How to prepare for a SkinPen Treatment
- 5-7 Days prior to treatment: Avoid prolonged sun exposure, sunburns, waxing and hair laser removal. We also recommend stopping skin care products that contain Retinol, Benzoyl Peroxide, Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid.
- If you develop a skin concern such as contact dermatitis (irritation due to a topical product), cold sores, eczema or rosacea flare-up, or a large amount of acne breakouts, please contact us for evaluation and treatment before we can proceed with the SkinPen treatment.
- Plan at least 1-3 days down time after your treatment. Results and down time varies from person to person.
- Please avoid wearing make-up the day of treatment if possible.
How the treatment is performed
SkinPen is nearly painless as the skin is first numbed with topical lidocaine for approximately 20 minutes. Once the skin is numb, the lidocaine is removed in small sections and the area is treated with a sterile one-time use needle tip. The needle tip is attached to a hand-piece and the aesthetician has precise depth and control over the treatment area.
During the treatment there is usually a sensation of a buff-pad rubbing across the skin, but is well tolerated. A clear serum is also used on the skin to help the needle tip glide across without tugging or pulling. This serum was formulated by Bellus medical specifically for the SkinPen treatment and has great antioxidants that will infuse into the skin during treatment.
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 1 week prior to treatment
- Discontinue any retinol, salicylic, glycolic, topical steroids, or bleaching-containing products at least 1 week prior to treatment
- If you have a history of cold sore or herpes virus, please inform our staff for appropriate pre-treatment medication and intervention prior to treatment
We have a list of careful guidelines to follow after a skin pen treatment:
Day of Treatment
- Avoid direct sun exposure.
- Avoid sweaty exercise or strenuous activity.
- An antihistamine may be taken at the end of treatment to help reduce the post-treatment inflammatory response.
- Keep skin hydrated using the Skin Fuse skin care system or with Hydrating Serum.
- No sunscreen or make-up may be worn.
Days 2-3 Post Treatment
- Apply a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more
- Continue to avoid direct sun exposure
- Continue to avoid sweaty exercise and strenuous activity
- Continue a gentle skin care routine.
- Make-up can be worn
- Previous skin care products can be reintroduced as skin tolerates.
- Continue to use sunscreen with SPF 30 or more
- Exercise can be resumed
Our SkinPen Achievements
- Our staff is has completed the Microneedling Masters class with Dr. Lance Setterfield.
- Our office is a Premier Partner with Bellus Medical for SkinPen Treatments and we have the latest SkinPen II model.
- We carry the specially designed and formulated Skin Fuse post treatment skin care system which was designed Bellus Medical and Dr. Lance Setterfield for excellent post-treatment care.
To log into the patient portal, please click the link:
The patient portal is used to:
- Verify contact information
- Update medical history & medications
- Update allergy information
- Request prescription refills
- Communicate with your provider
Your information is stored securely and is encrypted.
The patient portal is not used for Emergent Care.
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
8:00 AM - 1:00 PM