We offer a variety of chemical peels to suite your skin’s needs. Chemical peels are a great way to treat a variety of concerns:
- Dull appearance
- Fine Lines
- Skin Texture
- Some degrees of Melasma
How to prepare for a chemical peel:
There are several safe steps that need to be taken in consideration before a chemical peel can be performed. We recommend the following as guidelines before your treatment:
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 1 week prior to treatment
- Discontinue any retinol, salicylic, glycolic, topical steroids, or bleaching-containing products at least 1 week prior to treatment
- If you have a history of cold sore or herpes virus, please inform our staff for appropriate pre-treatment medication and intervention prior to treatment
How chemical peels work:
Depending on the type of peel, a prep solution is usually applied to clean, dry skin to remove surface layers of dirt and oils and to help the peel solutions penetrate the skin more effectively.
Then a chemical solution, or acid, is applied in a precise manner. There may be a mild or moderate sensation of tingling and stinging where the peel solution is applied. This sensation will subside over 1-2 minutes of the solution being on the skin.
Depending on the type of peel, the acid is either completely neutralized, or it is a self-neutralizing solution (in which removal of the solution is not necessary). A sunscreen is applied after your treatment and any burning or stinging sensations will have subsided by the end of the treatment.
Over the next 24-48 hours the treated areas will begin to have an exfoliating appearance. We do not recommend you peel or pick at the shedding, dry skin. Once the shedding period is complete, a layer of fresh and healthier skin will be visible.
- Some burning and stinging while the solution is being applied. A fan can be provided for comfort.
- Redness (Erythema)
- Swelling (Edema)
- Frosting appearance of skin – this will resolve after treatment and no further solution will be applied to that area.
- If a Dermaplane is performed prior to the application of the peel solution, a more intense sensation may be felt
How many treatments will be needed:
This will depend on the skin concern and skin type. Our aesthetician’s and PA staff will develop a customized plan for you. We will also determine if a series of treatments is necessary and the time frame needed between treatments.